08 September 2013

QR Code Quiz

Some of my students have had me for 3 years, but there are still things about me that they do not know. Some very UNIMPORTANT things! Like...when did I graduate high school? How many siblings do I have? Where is my family's lake house? And why are the numbers 2, 5, and 10 important to me?

I have done a Prezi in the past about "Mis Numeros" and I have also handed out a paper and pencil test for them to complete about all of the most uninteresting things about myself that I could think of. This year I wanted to get the kids up and moving around so I had them download an app that would scan QR codes for them. To my surprise, many of them did not even know what a QR code was! What?? They never tried to scan that code on the Heinz Ketchup bottle before?? It's hard for me to believe that I am more interested in technology than they are sometimes.

This year I hid 4 QR codes around the classroom that linked to the questions I mentioned above. In Spanish 1 they were in English, and in Spanish 4 and 5 they were in Spanish. Students had 1 person per group who was allowed to have their phones out, and the rest of the people in their groups of 3-4 had to use their brains to help answer the questions. When they were done, I had them answer the questions again into a Socrative quiz so that I could show them on the SmartBoard what I will receive when I ask them to complete a self-reflection or a Ticket to Leave in the future. They used polleverywhere in the previous class, so I really needed to keep the technology ball rolling and show them how their phones can be used for good instead of evil!
 

The students seemed to have a good time moving around and scanning with their phones. They now know what those funny square things are on their bulletin boards and they know how to use them! I posted a QR code to my website outside of my classroom so that they can get what they need without disturbing the magic that is sure to be taking place in my room. There is a link on my home page for them to use to make an appointment with me for extra help or to make up missed work. I really hope that technology is utilized in a positive and appropriate way this year. I need my life to be less chaotic!


**Answers to the questions above: 1999, 1 sister, Mousam Lake, 2 kids, 5 broken bones & 10 years teaching**

No comments:

Post a Comment