13 July 2013

Dear Me, Thanks for everything...




I was at my colleague's house talking with her about the book I recently finished Teach Like a PIRATE by Dave Burgess. I told her how PIRATE was an acronym and I could list off what all of the letters were except T. I couldn't remember what the T was for the life of me. We just agreed that it must be Teaching because that is what makes sense. Well, of course I ran home to check it out. It's TRANSFORMATION. I needed to read that section again.  OH YEAH...now I remember. I can picture where I was when I was reading it-two feet in the Atlantic Ocean enjoying a few hours of free time while the kids were in day care. I remember reading about and wanting to do the letter-writing exercise for the reasons outlined in the book:
"I found this letter-writing exercise to be extremely valuable, and it is something I recommend you consider trying for yourself. It allowed me to construct a vision of what I want students to experience in my class. It serves as the ideal goal that I'm shooting for as I proceed through my career. When I lack motivation or inspiration, I can re-read this passage and re-dedicate myself to fulfilling the vision." -Dave Burgess
What kind of a teacher do I want to be? I want to be a mixture of the qualities I see in my colleagues. I want to mix in the calm thoughtfulness of one, with the mama-bear kindness of another, the organization and lesson planning strategies of another, while still keeping my sense of humor and creativity that I am known for.

I want to be able to connect with ALL of my students, not just the goofy boys. My perception of the "goofy" boys in class is that they are not engaged. I work hard to build a relationship with them so that they will feel compelled to be more involved in class. I chat with these kids in the hallways and in the lunchroom. I tease them a little bit, and I make it to as many events they are involved with outside of school as I can. These kids KNOW that I care about them. I would love to use what I have learned in Teach Like a PIRATE to continue the rapport I have with them, but engage the majority of my students, not just the ones who I see as goofy.

I want students to look forward to being in my classroom, and I want them to feel compelled to be there-even on senior skip day! There are some teachers who punish their kids if they participate in the "ritual" of senior skip day, but I want my students to feel a tug on their heart if that day happens to fall on the day they have class with me. This will come through the Passion and Enthusiasm I show the kids I have for them and for Spanish.

This letter-writing exercise is hard! I know what I want to do, but it's difficult for me to place myself in the future and write as if I have already implemented all of the awesome things I want to accomplish as a teacher. Maybe this is because I'm really good at dropping the ball. I'm so excited right now, but I have always let go and faltered back into my old habits of going through the motions without much thought. OK...here I go...

Dear Señora Bolaños,

I loved Spanish this year. I  never thought that I could be good at a foreign language, but in your class I really felt comfortable communicating in Spanish. You showed us so many different (and fun) ways to learn and study. I have learned so much about myself as a learner just through the different methods and mnemonic devices you had us try. I loved how I could show you what I learned in a way in which I could be creative and confident.

Your classes this year were awesome!  We did something fun every day and I always felt like what we were doing was relevant to me and the real world. I am really proud of the work that I did with our class blogs with the students in Costa Rica. Hopefully my parents will take my suggestion and take me there on vacation next year!

There is a different feel to your classroom. I knew I was safe and respected when I was there. Kids who weren't usually nice to me in other classes worked with me in your room and seemed to appreciate my contributions. I knew that you cared about me and wanted me to do well in your class, and be happy in successful outside of school. I know that I can talk to you about things happening in my life and you will listen and not judge me.

Have a good summer and I will be sure to visit you when I am home from college!

I did it. It was not easy. I recommend you try it out and see what you come up with! Have you done something like this before?  

As always, feedback is appreciated!!




1 comment:

  1. Great job, Sarah!! I like it and really appreciate that you took on the challenge. Most say, that's a cool idea...but then never actually give it a shot!! Just the reflective process you have to go through to consider what to write is valuable. I hope you're glad you took the time to try it.

    ReplyDelete