10 July 2013

Fears, Inadequacies and an Invitation to an Exciting Ride

"Do you want a guaranteed formula for disappointment in life? Set up the rules of your life so that you have to win every time or have one hundred percent success in order to feel fulfilled." -Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess (@burgessdave on twitter)

I am not quite finished reading Teach Like a Pirate...I mean it's only been 2 days since I started and I have two small children at home. I hope to finish it today while they're in daycare, but only so I can start reading it again and pick up pieces that I missed the first time through!

As I have been reading, I am picturing my classroom and the students I know I will have next year. It is a blessing and a curse that I am able to have the same students for more than one year. One question I posed on Twitter was: How can I start fresh and make it exciting for students I have taught for 2 years? the feedback I received made me think:
@jennahacker: Change room? Seating, decor, etc. Wow them the first 3 days with unique intro to class with costumes, etc.
@garnet_hillman: mix it up! Do something outside your comfort zone and turn it into a learning experience...they can step out too! 
@trohaphys: I bet if you show up with more passion and enthusiasm than last year, they will see the difference and come along with you
@MrsGrayiron: Have a class theme, chant, or special yell; a special class name or logo. I'm getting excited just thinking about it!

I am getting excited just thinking about it too! One of my problems is that I do exactly what Dave Burgess explains is the #1 problem for implementing the PIRATE "system": Fear of Failure.
I am afraid that the kids I have taught for 2 years will take this as another way I am trying to change, only to have it fall through by second semester. 
I am afraid that by putting so much effort into planning the excitement I will lose sight of the standards that need to be taught. I am sick of hearing that I am not challenging enough from students and having kids feel like they are not prepared for a college level Spanish class.  
I am afraid that I will not have enough time to devote to family, fitness, AND school. I am afraid that the first two will be sacrificed so I can "be the best" teacher. I have husband and two young kids and I have lost 40 lbs over the past year and a half. I am really starting to enjoy running and I have just enough time to get a few miles in right after school before the madness of after-school snacks, dinner, and bedtime routines. When will I have time to plan???
To start the school year, I am going to focus on really using my prep periods. It is too easy for me to float around the school in search of coffee, food, and conversation when I should really be sitting in my room planning my amazing lessons! I am stuck on the fact that my seniors will be starting their third year with me. They don't have the reputation of having the best attitude, most knowledge, or work ethic of other classes, but to be honest I don't think I do either. I will need to work extra hard to get us all on the same page.

Some ideas I have for my seniors is to write them a letter of my intentions-or maybe an exciting invitation or some sort. I wanted to let them know that I am human and had a pretty crappy year last year, but I think I should start the year with a bang instead of an Eeyore-esque depressed beginning replaying the mistakes of the 12-13 school year.  

I have already started removing EVERYTHING from my walls, getting rid of computers that are ancient and unused, and moving my desk to the back of the room. I want my walls to be resources for students with authentic language all over the place. I want to have a rolling word list where we continue to add words that are necessary to communicate. I want there to be more space for us all to move around, and I want the clutter OUT of the room.

Comment below with some ways you plan on starting fresh after reading Teach Like a Pirate? I would love the feedback!
 
 

6 comments:

  1. I really admire your self-reflection. That is a great sign for a teacher looking to improve. I also feel the same way as you do with fear of failure. I am doing my best to find ways to push out of my comfort zone. I am asking to have the desks removed from my room and replaced with tables, so I can promote collaboration. I am getting ready to re-read TLAP. I look forward to seeing how your year starts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I really hope I am able to keep up with the blogging. I think it really helps with reflection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ¡Hola, Sarah! Wow! You have great plans for the new school year! Your idea to plaster the walls with TL expressions and so on will be so appreciated by your students. Mine let me know immediately if something is missing from the wall. Ha!

    I just finished the pirate book a couple of days ago and also gleaned some good ideas from it. One little thing I plan to do is give a prize to each student who can identify ALL classmates by the end of the first week of school. I think I might make crêpes on the first day of school, too, because my students demand them (usually to no avail) way too often. This plan would take them by surprise.

    Those are the two ideas that I'm almost sure I'll take to school from that book. It is easy to feel overwhelmed when there is so much we could do, but I believe in baby steps. I already feel like I failed at something or other every year, so if I set out to do a couple things that are feasible and low-stress, it's a win-win!

    Hope you have a wonderful year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an inspired post! You and your students are going to have an exciting year, because you will make it so! I think you made the right decision to take a pirate voyage instead of doing the Eeyore trudge into the school year--your students will be as inspired by your new approach as you are. You have taken the summer to learn, reflect, plan, and design, and your hard work will pay off with a high level of engagement for your students. Keep on blogging, and keep your energy flowing by participating in the #tlap chats on Twitter. ¡Sí se puede!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a wonderfully honest and self-reflevtive post!!! Shouting from between the lines of your post is that you are ready to make a huge leap and go for it and I think that's awesome.

    I have to admit I smiled at your comment about prep periods...I am a notorious prep campus wanderer! I could use some improvement in that respect, as well...although I find that sometimes I need that social interaction and downtime to stay sane. Ok...sane for a pirate.

    I can't wait to find out how your new journey goes and I'm honored that Teach Like a PIRATE is one of the maps you're consulting along the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your post. Sarah, you are speaking for many of us. I admire your gumption and spirit to change on so many levels. Congratulations on the weight loss and your continued dedication to your health, family, and fitness. I was thinking about you and TLAP and wondered what the buzz would be around the high school if you showed up dressed like they do when they run with bulls!

    For my new starts I'm thinking about how to have my students do an entry like Bob Barker did on The Price is Right. Maybe do that after the business on the first day is done and say something like, this is how we should be entering our class. Also, I want us to have a name that is special to our class. Haven't come up with one, but something with "team", "crew", or "posse". I like sports so something like that. I'm changing my room around, too. Before I left, I had my students take everything off of the walls, so I am walking into a blank slate. I like Cristy's idea about a prize for knowing the class names. Relating to her food idea, I did French bread Friday. Not every Friday, but at least once a month. That was fun and I would sneak in sourdough bread sometimes. Could get expensive for five or six periods.

    You have inspired me, Sarah, and I feel like Dave Burgess has us all on this pirate ship to our very special wonderland! Can't wait to read your next reflection.

    Patty Reyes Franklin

    ReplyDelete